We know that summer can expose your jewelry to more outside use and fun activities. Here is an article from the International Gemological Institute about caring for your jewelry…
JEWELRY CARE TIPS
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before dressing in jewelry.
- When undressing, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove oils and perspiration.
- Store in a fabric-lined box, separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches.
- Never wear jewelry when doing physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise.
- Never expose jewelry to household cleaning products.
- Never expose jewelry to chlorine swimming pools or hot tubs.
Tips for Cleaning:
- Follow the instructions appearing on the label or box.
- Clean in a secure location, not the rim of a sink where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewelry often; lotions, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.
- Clean diamond jewelry with a soft brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent; rinse under running water.
- Never expose pearl jewelry to chemicals or solvents and store each piece in a soft bag.
- Don’t expose colored gemstones to chemicals, solvents or ultrasonics without knowing their specific cleaning requirements.
Tips for Long Life:
- Keep your Laboratory Reports in a safe location, separate from jewelry pieces, for security.
- Have your jewelry cleaned and checked by a professional for worn mountings, loose prongs and general condition at least once per year.
- Have white gold re-plated, platinum re-polished and prongs re-tipped as necessary to maintain original condition (generally every 24 months or so).
- Have frequently-worn pearls restrung as necessary, with a knot between each pearl to prevent loss if the string breaks.
- Some colored gemstones should not be exposed to sudden temperature changes; know your pieces and their needs.
- Select daily-wear jewelry that is in harmony with your lifestyle and schedule of activities.
- Treat each piece as if it were a family heirloom, for someday it may be.
Please contact us to inspect your jewelry if you feel that stones may be loose, or your jewelry is in need of repair. We are happy to look at your pieces to determine if any maintenance/cleaning or repairs are necessary.
Thank you for your patronage!